Many of us believe that a dishwasher can wash because the main function of this machine is washing. So, if our plates become clean, then the dishwasher will be clean, too, and the question of how to clean the dishwasher at home should not be raised at all. But not everything is so simple.
Unfortunately, small debris, scraps, fat accumulate over time and worsen the performance of the dishwasher. In addition, the machine can smell as if from a garbage collector, so this equipment also needs a specific care.
How to Operate the Dishwasher Properly?
In order to face the problem of cleaning the dishwasher as rarely as possible, use it often and systematically. Is it strange? Yes, but this is a fact.
It is important! Paradoxically, the less often you use the appliance, the shorter its service life will be. It is impermissible to use the dishwasher 1-2 times a month to save on electricity, water and detergents. The dishwasher should be operated at least once every 2 days to prevent long-lasting accumulation of food leftovers.
The Basic Rules of Сare
During the use of this household appliance, observe the following rules:
- To have your dishwasher serve you for a long time, check the drain hoses more often. If necessary, clean them with a toothpick.
- Dry the rubber gasket in the door once in 2 months.
- Always clean the dishes of food residue before washing-up. Try not to overload the appliance.
- To have your dishes shine with cleanness, choose the detergent for cleaning dishwashers correctly. Check if the sockets for brightener and salt are filled.
- From time to time turn on the empty dishwasher for washing, adding 1 l of hot vinegar to hot water. This method will help unclog the drain. After the procedure, be sure to wipe the appliance dry and leave the door ajar to remove the smell of vinegar.
Additional Recommendations for Using the Dishwasher
To make the cleaning of the dishwasher easy, and be sure that it won’t fail, please be aware that it is impossible to wash the following dishes in it:
- cutlery made of wood (partly or completely), as they lose their marketable condition, and the adhesive used in making such utensils does not withstand high temperatures;
- decorative glassware that is very sensitive to external actions;
- rare porcelain or antique utensils of special manufacture;
- disposable plastic tableware;
- crystal with lead particles;
- products made of synthetic materials sensitive to high temperatures;
- copper and pewter tableware;
- stainless steel items;
- applied art products;
- old dishes with a non-heat-resistant coating;
- articles with silver and gold inserts, as washing, may change the color and the tableware will fade.
It is important! Also, don’t wash towels, sponges, napkins under any circumstances.
How to Improve the Efficiency of the Dishwasher?
To ensure that all dishes are perfectly clean after washing, the dishwasher detergent is well dissolved and rinsed, follow these rules:
- Place the dishes in the dishwasher face down and inside.
- Before you turn on the appliance, check whether the carousels can rotate.
- Do not place the dishes too tightly, as the dishwasher is washing them, spraying with water, which means that the water should be allowed to pour freely onto the plates.
- Wash small objects with forks and knives so that they do not slip down to the bottom.
- Do not wash containers with stickers, as they may come loose.
- Do not get carried away by pre-rinsing.
- If something falls on the bottom of the dishwasher, pick up the fallen object immediately.
- To avoid staining on the dishes, use the rinse aid once per month: unscrew the round cover on the door and pour the agent to the place indicated in the instruction.
It is important! Don’t use rinse aid if you use a water softener.
How to Clean the Dishwasher?
It is not difficult to clean the dishwasher at home. For this, you do not even need to call for a specialist if you follow such instructions:
- Isolate the dishwasher.
- Check the holes through which water passes into the washing chamber:
- If you find a contamination that interferes with the free flow of water, use a pair of tweezers to carefully remove it (do not push it in).
- If the hole is small and you cannot remove the dirt with tweezers, then take the wire and push the clog with it.
- Start the cleaning of the door ends. Dirt usually accumulates at the junction of the door and the body, and then it decays and produces an unpleasant smell. Clean the door with some detergent and a sponge. Clean the old dirt with an old toothbrush.
- Thoroughly wash the baskets for cutlery manually.
- Clean the filter and the grill through which water flows into the sewer. In new dishwashers the filter is easily removed, but if you are the owner of an old model, you have to unscrew the filter.
It is important! By following our steps step-by-step instruction, you will clean the dishwasher from grease, remnants of food and dirt, but you will not get rid of scale this way, and this is a real enemy for any home appliances.
How to Сlean the Dishwasher from Scale?
In the process of operation, water scales the appliance, which impairs the quality of washing-up and at the same time makes the dishwasher work more intensively. The scale accumulates on the heating elements, so they have to work longer to heat the water to the required temperature, which means it will have to consume more electricity.
It is important! Use a mild acid solution to remove scale. The market provides a lot of such agents for dishwashers. It can be a powder or a solution. Many consumers use folk remedies that dissolve the scale well, for example, citric acid and vinegar.
To clean the machine from scale, do 1 cycle of washing up without dishes, using a special descaling agent for dishwashers.
Cleaning with vinegar:
- Pour 2 glasses of the agent into the bottom of the basket.
- Turn on the appliance to heat the water.
- Stop the appliance in the middle of the cycle and leave for 20-30 minutes (it is possible to leave it overnight).
- Finish the washing cycle.
Citric acid is the most multi-purpose anti-scale agent. This product can be found in almost any house. The amount of acid used depends on the amount of scale, on average, it is about 200-400 g. Pour citric acid into the dishwasher and carry out the usual washing process.
It is important! When using citric acid to clean the dishwasher from scale, take precautions. After using this product, repeat the washing process with absolutely pure water.
We recommend the owners of expensive household appliances, in particular Bosch, Samsung, LG dishwashers, to use anti-scale agents for prevention. You can buy it at any household chemistry store. Be sure to consult a specialist and read the instructions for using the product.
It is important! Anti-scale agents prevent the appearance of scale. Such agent must be added during dishwashing. The only drawback is that you shouldn’t use it often so that the chemical elements do not go over to the dishes. Use the product only for preventive purposes.
In order not to spend money on buying anti-scale agents, when buying a dishwasher, ask if there is a function of protection against scale formation, as well as a water hardness regulator.
Means for the cleaning of the dishwasher
It is not very difficult to find a special agent for cleaning the dishwasher in household chemistry stores. But it is usually recommended to clean any home appliances that contact with food with the same agents as the dishes.
- Liquid ‘Fairy’. Using a rag and the agent, gently clean all the hard-to-get parts of the appliance.
- ‘Fairy Platinum’. These tablets are more convenient to use. Together with the powder, this agent includes salts for softening water, as well as for removing rust and scale.
- ‘Finish’. Another company that produces special cleaners for dishwashers. It is sufficient to use this agent once every 30 cycles in order to maintain excellent hygienic conditions. ‘Finish’ is sold in a 250 ml bottle. Before use, remove the sticker and place the container into the net for dishes (there should not be any dishes there). Then start the normal cycle of operation. This is a professional dishwasher detergent.
It is important! For the correct operation of the cleaner:
- Place the bottle upside down.
- The temperature conditions of the cycle should be at least 65 ° C.
In addition to the purchased dishwasher detergents, use also the home remedies described below.
Clean Dishwasher with Vinegar and Baking Soda
The smell of fresh dishwasher can be returned with the help of vinegar and soda:
- Put the dishwasher filter into soapy water for 10 minutes.
- After replacing the filter, put 1 glass of vinegar onto the bottom of the dishwasher.
- Start the device in full cycle mode.
- At the end of the cycle, place baking soda on the bottom of the machine.
- Leave the equipment overnight.
- In the morning, start the appliance in full cycle.
The users of miracle equipment offered a fantastic recipe from baking soda:
- Mix 2 cups of soda with 3 tbsp. of hydrogen peroxide.
- Add 20 drops of essential oil.
- Mix all the ingredients until their consistency resembles moist sand.
- Use an ice cream spatula to give the shape of balls to the product.
- Before you start the dishwasher, make sure that the food remains are removed, and the filter of the machine is cleaned.
- After the balls of baking soda harden, spread them on the bottom shelf of the dishwasher.
- Pour 2 tbsp. of vinegar and 1 tbsp. of the detergent onto the plate. Put the prepared agent onto the top shelf.
- Start the dishwasher.
Clean Dishwasher with Bleach
Remember that bleacher is harmful to stainless steel. Therefore, if the inside of your machine is made of this material, then use another agent for cleaning.
It is important! The advantage of cleaning the machine from grease with bleacher is the fact that this is the surest way to remove mildew. Therefore, if there are persistent stains of mildew, then pour a glass of bleacher instead of detergent, then start the machine at high temperature and your problem will disappear.
Any home appliances make your life easier and save time, however, they require proper operation and daily maintenance. If you follow simple rules and serve your assistant on a regular basis, the dishwasher will last you for many years.