The filters of dishwashers often get dirty. This greatly hinders the operation of the device and reduces the quality of washing. If is not unclogged in time, it can lead to a malfunction of the device. Regular unclogging of the filter of the dishwasher will help to avoid a lot of problems.
The Causes of Clogging of the Filter of a Dishwasher
The main reason is large pieces of food residues on the dishes. Before loading the dishes, you should thoroughly clean the plates of food residues and be sure to rinse them with warm running water.
But even this measure does not exclude completely possible clogging of the filter, because of fat, which does not dissolve completely in water, accumulates there. The remains of detergent can also cause clogging. Scale and scud also leave their mark on the surface of this element.
How to Remove the Filter from a Dishwasher
The filters of Bosch or Electrolux household dishwashers are located in the bottom interior of the device; the levers for distribution of water and a heating element are located above them. The arrangement of Bosch dishwasher is presented in the photo.
Before removing the filter for cleaning, it is necessary to isolate the device, then to collect extra water with a sponge or cloths. Only then it is possible to remove the filter. By the way, other parts, such as water control valves and a heating element, should also be cleaned from the scale and other contaminants.
It is rather simple to understand that the filter has got clogged and requires immediate cleaning. The dishwasher starts working significantly worse than before. The quality of washing of the dishes decreases, the device starts making some noise, there is water at the bottom. All this shows that it is time to clean the filter promptly.
How can I clean the dishwasher filter?
It is possible to clean the filter of a dishwasher in several available ways:
- By means of detergents for washing the dishes and cleaning powder. It is possible to apply them with an old tooth-brush, then, wash them off with flowing water, if necessary, the procedure can be repeated.
- One more effective agent which helps to get rid of fat is soda. It can be used together with common salt which also helps to clean off fat spots. But it is better to dissolve the powder with water and to apply the gruel with a sponge for washing the dishes, then to rinse.
- The last way which will help not only to get rid of fat but also of limescale is citric acid, for this purpose, the detail should be immersed into the solution for several hours, then rinsed with soapy water. Vinegar has a similar effect. If there is no citric acid, it can replace it quite well.
If the filter has got clogged not too strong, it is possible to eliminate the trouble by means of soapy water and a sponge. After cleaning, it is necessary to rinse the filter with water properly, and then to dry it. But before installing it in its place, it is necessary to carry out cleaning inside of the dishwasher too, rinsing all the details with water.
The filter which is located on the valve of water delivery gets clogged quite often. It is necessary to remember about its cleaning, even if not too frequent. The water which runs through it every day is not of a high quality. It may contain a lot of salts or lime. Sometimes particles of rust get there from the pipes. If cleaning of the filter of a dishwasher has not been made on time, water will be taken significantly more slowly.
A few simple rules will help you avoid the whole set of problems:
- It is desirable to rinse the dishes with water before loading it into the dishwasher, to partially wash off fat and the bits and pieces of food.
- Use special liquids, powders or tablets for washing the dishes.
- It is desirable to use special agents for softening of water.
- It is necessary to remove and wash the filter not less often, than once in two weeks. And once in three months, it is necessary to carry out full-scale cleaning inside the device.
It is desirable to clean the filter of the dishwasher and to carry out cleaning inside of the device as often as possible. Anyone can do it himself. All these measures significantly prolong the spell of service of the appliance and help avoid the need of replacement of some expensive details and component parts. It is possible to see the detailed instructions on cleaning the filter of a dishwasher from clogging on the video.