Siemens washing machines are renowned for their quality and longevity. However, like any appliance, they can run into occasional issues. One of these is the Siemens washing machine error E18, a problem that can seem perplexing but can often be resolved with a little bit of knowledge and some elbow grease. This article will guide you through identifying, understanding, and resolving this error.
The error E18 typically arises in Siemens washing machines due to a blockage in the drain pump filter or a problem with the pump itself. This blockage can prevent the washing machine from draining properly, leading to an accumulation of water within the machine, which can become a serious issue if left untreated.
Identifying the Error E18
The first step in troubleshooting the E18 error involves recognizing it. When your Siemens washing machine is afflicted with this error, it will generally display ‘E18’ on its LED screen. The washing cycle might not complete, and you may hear the pump running continuously in an attempt to drain the water that can’t be removed due to the blockage.
Understanding the Error E18
When you see the E18 error code, it signifies a drainage issue. However, understanding the root cause can help you take the appropriate action. For instance, if the washing machine is not draining due to a blockage, it can be caused by several factors. The most common causes are foreign objects, such as coins, hairpins, or pieces of fabric, getting lodged in the drain pump filter. Sometimes, a build-up of lint or soap scum could also lead to blockage.
Resolving the Error E18
Before diving into troubleshooting the E18 error, ensure your safety. Unplug the machine and keep a towel and a shallow pan at hand, as you may need to deal with residual water during the process.
Here is a step-by-step guide to solving the E18 error:
- Access the Drain Pump: The drain pump is usually located at the bottom right of your Siemens washing machine. Some models have a small door for easy access; if yours doesn’t, you may need to tilt the machine to reach the pump.
- Open the Pump Cover: Before you unscrew the pump cover, place your shallow pan underneath to catch any residual water. Gently twist the cover counterclockwise and remove it.
- Clean the Filter: Pull out the filter and thoroughly clean it. Check for any foreign objects that could cause a blockage. This can be done using warm soapy water and a soft brush.
- Inspect the Pump: Look inside the pump cavity for any visible obstructions. If an object is present, use a pair of pliers to remove it carefully.
- Reassemble and Test: Once you’ve cleaned the filter and checked the pump, reassemble the machine. Run a short cycle to verify if the problem is resolved.
If your machine continues to display the E18 error after following these steps, it might indicate a more serious problem, such as a faulty pump. In this case, it would be prudent to contact a professional service technician.
Preventing Future E18 Errors
To avoid future E18 errors, regular maintenance is key. Ensure to check and clean your washing machine’s filter monthly. Always check pockets before washing clothes, as small items can easily cause blockages.
In conclusion, the Siemens washing machine error E18 is typically indicative of a blockage in the drain pump. Though it may seem daunting, it can often be resolved with a bit of patience and care. Regular maintenance and careful use of your washing machine can go a long way in preventing such errors in the future.