Error code E64 indicates problems with the dryer. As a rule, they are associated with a heating element, a cyclic thermostat, a control board and a thermal fuse. What exactly does not work – you need to find out on your own, sequentially checking each of the nodes.
In addition to error E64, another one may be displayed – E63. In this article, we will tell you what you can do to solve the problem using the Frigidaire Affinity (Electrolux) typewriter as an example. Before carrying out diagnostic and repair work, disconnect household appliances from the 220-volt network.
The heating element burnt out or shorted out
90% of the cases of error E64 are accompanied by a failure of the heating element, which was shorted to the heater body or burned out. It is necessary to generate the heat that the machine needs to ensure the process of drying dishes.
Steps to check and replace the heating element:
- Turn off the power to the dryer.
- Remove the top cover by unscrewing the screws at the back.
- Remove all screws holding the front panel, which has a program selection knob and other control keys. Remove it from the mounts, disconnect the power cable, set it aside.
- Remove the front panel on which the door is fixed, and disconnect the power cables with supply wires. The panel, in addition to screws, is held on plastic fasteners that need to be snapped off.
- Remove the plastic cover covering the filter. It is curved and gray in color.
- The heating element is on the bottom left. It looks like a cylinder with coils inside. Mounted on a metal stand.
- Unscrew the screws holding the metal stand, and remove the wires that are attached to the heating element. Get it out. Make sure that all wires are in place and do not touch the case.
Disconnect the wires carefully so as not to damage anything. To get the distant wires, first unscrew the sensors from the heater body. Once done, check the coils with a multimeter. To do this, set it to the minimum resistance value and check each coil in series. If the value obtained is not in the range of 20 to 50 ohms, then the heating element needs to be replaced.
The thermal fuse has failed
If the thermal fuse is blown, the dehumidifier will not work. The element cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Getting to it is easy.
Instructions for replacing the fuse.
- Turn off the power to the dryer.
- Remove the back panel.
- Find a small device that attaches to the top of the dryer exhaust duct. This is a fuse. It has 2 wires going to it.
- Check the fuse with a multimeter.
If the resistance is 10 ohms or more, the fuse is working; if less, it must be replaced. The fuse could have blown due to normal wear and tear or due to obstacles encountered during the operation of household appliances.
Before installing a new fuse, check the exhaust duct to make sure nothing is blocking the airflow. Inspect fan blades for damage. Problems in their operation lead to the failure of the fuse. By checking in advance, you simply save time and budget.
Faulty cyclic thermostat
The cyclic thermostat can also cause errors E64 / E63 to appear on the display of the Electrolux Frigidaire Affinity dryer. It is responsible for temperature control inside household appliances. It should not go beyond the norm. If the machine overheats, the cyclic thermostat turns off the power, preventing unwanted effects.
If the dryer does not heat up, there is a chance that the thermostat has failed. Instructions for replacing it:
- Turn off the power to the dryer, move it away from the wall.
- Remove the rear panel by unscrewing the screws holding it.
- Disconnect the wires connected to the thermostat. Remember how everything is located, so that you can return it back without any problems.
- Remove the old thermostat, check it, if it is out of order – connect a new one and fix it.
Reassemble the dryer in reverse order. Test her work. If the error has disappeared, congratulations, you did everything right. If not disappeared, take the equipment to a service center or call a specialist at home.
Use a multimeter to test the cyclic thermostat. Set the device to the “RX1” or “Continuity” position. Disconnect the wires from one of the connectors and attach a multimeter probe to each of them. A working thermostat will show infinity. If you get different values, then it is out of order and needs to be replaced.
Every time your Frigidaire Affinity dryer starts displaying error code E63-E64, you should pay attention to the heating system. It consists of a heating element, a cyclic thermostat, and a fuse – the details that were just discussed. You must check each of these items in sequence to see which one is the problem. After that, you just need to change the faulty device and continue to use the machine for its intended purpose.
You can remove the E63-E64 error on your dryer yourself without contacting a service center. So you save money and get invaluable experience. In the future, if the problem recurs, you can quickly deal with it.
But pay attention. If the dryer is under warranty, we do not recommend repairing it yourself, since in this case it will not be possible to repair the equipment for free. Take it to an authorized service center. You can find a list of authorized centers in your city on the manufacturer’s website.